For International Orders Please WhtatsApp On
+91 76529 22771
Most Easiest Way To Make Bones Stronger: Olympic Athletes Technique
With the information out there about osteoporosis, everyone wants to know how to get stronger bones. It is a valid concern considering many older people struggle with osteoporosis. Everyone wants to live life to the full and age well so that they can keep enjoying life in their later years.
Bone density is one of the biggest concern of people getting older. After 30 we start losing bone density, so right steps should be taken after 30 only. The good news is that it is very simple. In this article, I will be telling you all about how to keep your bones healthy, including using a vibration plate which has benefits far beyond just bone health.
How To Make Your Bones Stronger
The foundation of stronger bones starts very early. You should be taking right steps right now, to avoid the bent body down the road. The best way is a healthy diet and lifestyle. Start doing the following things to increase and maintain the health of your bones:
- Make sure you eat enough calcium. We need 1000 mg per day. Leafy green vegetables, Raw Milk, Fish Sardine, Yogurt are my top choices as calcium sources, so be sure to add them to your diet. You can lightly steam your greens to ensure better absorption of nutrients. Read here to find out about other sources of calcium.
- If you choose to take a calcium supplement, make sure that it contains magnesium and vitamins D3 and K2 as well as these nutrients all work together for bone health and maximise absorption. Do not take more than 500 mg calcium at once. The doctors do this biggest mistake, prescribing 1000 mg in one tablet. I have written an extra article on calcium supplementation here.
- Avoid processed foods and cut out or limit alcohol and soft drinks as these can cause bone loss over time or when used excessively. Following a more alkaline diet is also beneficial for bone health.
- Weight-bearing and impact exercises. Resistance exercise using either weights or body weight strengthen your muscles to support your bones better. Impact exercises such as walking, jogging and climbing stairs strengthen your bones.
But, trust me this article is not about that. If I would have to repeat whats already written repeatedly over the net I would not have been writing this article.
How Do Bones Get Stronger
In order to understand why you need to do the above things to maintain bone health, it's important to understand how your bones are made stronger in the first place. The reason why impact exercises are recommended because the impact resulting from activities like walking, jogging, jumping, climbing stairs, etc, cause small shocks to go through your bones which causes the bone-creating cells (osteoblasts) to reinforce the bones almost like a defense mechanism.
Bones need calcium in order to harden the new bone that forms so that you have good healthy bone density increases. A diet containing calcium and the nutrients that support calcium and it's function like magnesium, vitamins D and K makes sure that you have enough calcium for this function. Your body also needs calcium for other things like maintaining acid-base balance and regulating your heartbeat.
So it's important to get enough. If suddenly one day you start hearing your heartbeat, it means that your electrolytes are imbalanced. Building strong muscles helps take some of the load off of your bones and joints which keeps them healthy. This is the reason resistance training is important too.
Not everyone is able to use weights or to do impact exercises. But there is a simple way to exercise that yields great results. WBVT (whole-body vibration training) is an excellent way to improve your bone health. You do this by using a vibration plate.
Using A Vibration Plate
The research says that a lot number of elderly people die because of bone fractures. I also have older parents, who are physically not very active. I can not tell them to start lifting weight or do heavy impact exercises like. But, I was always concerned about their bone health. A vibration plate is easy to use and is safe for those who are older or already struggling with osteopenia or osteoporosis.
It's also great to use as a fitness tool for everyone to improve their general health. As little as 8 minutes twice a week of WBVT is enough to strengthen bones, ligaments, and muscles. It's also a lot easier to manage than impact workouts or using other machines and equipment for resistance training which is why it's great for those who cannot work out in a conventional way.
Vibration Machine Benefits
- Improved bone health: As we age, we lose bone density. Poor lifestyle choices also add to this. Using a vibration plate sends small shocks/impact into the bone
- Improved muscle tone and strength: Our hormone levels drop as we age, but using a vibration plate increases our levels of oestrogen, testosterone and human growth hormone which helps to strengthen and preserve your muscles. A study done with teenagers and young adults suffering from cerebral palsy showed an increase in muscle mass when they used a vibration plate.
- Improved circulation: Both your blood circulation and lymphatic system circulation is improved. This means better tissue health and a stronger immune system. Your body's ability to detox will also be improved.
- Better stress control and a decrease in depression: Exercise is one of the most effective ways to relieve stress and decrease depression. WBVT is incredibly effective at lowering cortisol (stress hormone) and increasing serotonin (your happy hormone) in a short amount of time.
- Weight loss: The calorie burn when doing WBVT is massive. With a healthy diet and just a few minutes of WBVT a few times a week, you will notice great results. Cortisol increases belly fat, and because of WBVT's cortisol lowering effects, you will be able to get rid of your belly fat better and prevent it from accumulating again with regular WBVT sessions.
- Regulate Hormones- 460% increase in growth hormones, 7% increase in testosterone, 27% decrease in cortisol. You must be thinking how relevant it is to you. Why is it so some people develop muscle faster than the others. It all depends upon the hormones. They have higher levels of Testosterone or they externally take this hormone.
- Proper Detoxification: Vibration Detoxifies Immune System by draining the lymph system completely.
Dr. C Bosco has done quite a few studies on the improvements in muscular tone and strength when WBVT is used. Click here to read one of his studies.
How Do Vibration Plates Work
Vibration plates are so effective that they are used by astronauts, Olympic athletes, and athletes in the NFL. To prepare the bodies of the astronauts and increase the amount of time they are able to spend in space where there is no gravity, they train a few months before they go. No gravity weakens the muscles and bones because there is no impact.
When they come back to earth, they train on the vibration plates to restore muscle strength and bone density they lost in space. Similarly, the athletes who train using vibration plates find that their muscles are stronger, their reflexes quicker and their hand and eye coordination and balance improve. The NFL players who train using WBVT just twice a week experience a 77% decrease in injury. Athletes in general also recover faster from injuries if they have been using vibration plates to train.
The most effective vibration plates use a combination of a side to side oscillation and up and down vibration. This mimics the impact you would experience on a daily basis from walking and moving around, but at a much quicker speed which cuts the amount of time, you need to do it down. All it takes is a few minutes and can be used by a wide range of people.
WBVT Can Benefit The Following People:
- People with physical limitations: Using exercise equipment or doing higher impact exercises can be hard for those who are weakened by conditions deteriorating the muscles or those needing to regain the use of their body after accidents or long illnesses. Doing simple exercises on a vibration plate removes these complications and provide the same, if not more, benefits of conventional exercise far more efficiently than conventional exercise.
- Busy people: Life can get in the way of workouts, but standing on a vibrating plate for 20 minutes and getting more benefits than if you spent 45 minutes on a treadmill will enable you to see to your responsibilities and spend time with your family while being in excellent health.
- For young people: This is great for cool down stretches and for muscle recovery. It increases human growth hormone and testosterone which especially helps athletes. Increases in oestrogen benefit young women too. Using a vibration plate helps your body to stay younger for longer and slows down aging.
- Elderly people: They have challenges lifting weight or high impact exercise, but this could be a beginning. Muscle, bone and ligament strength is increased even in aging people with the use of WBVT. You will be able to do more and live better in your later years.
- People with health conditions: WBVT increases insulin sensitivity: Doctors says that balancing blood sugar levels is the most important step one can take towards healthy life. Meaning, that you should not get hungry (hunger + Angry) in the absence of food. The humans never evolved this way. We used to go out and hunt and food was not always available. This is how our bodies are designed, and this is what keeps us disease free.
- Diabetics: Diabetes can be reversed through a healthy diet that controls your blood sugar levels and exercise. WBVT is very beneficial for diabetics because of its ability to increase insulin sensitivity.
Dr. Mike Moriearty D.C is one of the experts in this field. Watch this video to find out more about the benefits.
Best Vibration Plate
Not all vibration plates are good. Cheap and poor quality vibration plates are everywhere.
Here's What To Look For And What To Avoid:
- Make sure it's steel. Plastic is cheaper but far less stable.
- Make sure it can take your weight. All vibration plates should state their weight limit.
- Look for a dual motor or a two motor system to make sure that you get a full range of vibrations (backwards and forwards, side to side, up and down). Look for oscillation and Vibration both.
- Make sure it has a reputable rating and that it has a good warranty.
Power Plate is a great brand. In fact, Power Plate is the brand used by the astronauts from Russia. They have many good quality vibration plates to choose from. The best one is the Power Plate My7. It has a virtual trainer and 250 different presets to make sure that you have an effective workout every time. Many gyms also have vibration plates. If you aren't able to buy your own, using one at a gym is also an option.
How To Use A Vibration Plate
Start slowly. Use it for few minutes a day like 5 minutes and work your way up. To get the most benefit, change your workouts up. You can perform different exercises every few days, or alternate between workouts. Change the speed settings and the oscillation. This will keep your body guessing and you won't end up plateauing. Your body will be able to get fitter and stronger every week. The right frequency depends on your exercise goal.
If you trying to relieve tight back muscles, tone up your arms or strengthen your legs? Secondly, it depends on your body; are you heavy or light, young or old, trained or untrained? All of these factors influence what is the perfect frequency for you personally.
Simple Exercises To Do On A Vibration Plate:
- Standing: Stand on the vibration plate with your knees slightly bent. Always bend your knees to prevent too much vibration going to your head.
- Push-ups: With your arms straight, your palms resting on the vibration plate and your toes on the ground, keep your body in a straight line by contracting your stomach and bum muscles, lower yourself down, keeping your elbows tucked close to your body. Your chest should almost touch the plate. Then push back up. Repeat.
- Tricep dips: Facing away from the vibration plate, place your hands behind you with your palms on the plate, your fingers towards your back. With either your legs bent or straight, your feet supporting you and keeping your bum suspended in the air, lower yourself until your elbows form a +/- 90-degree angle and push back up to the starting position. Repeat.
- Shoulder presses: Assume the standing position with your dumbbells at shoulder height. Lift the dumbbells overhead until your arms are straight then lower them back down. Repeat.
- Dumbbell rows: Assume the standing position. With your dumbbells in your hands at your sides slightly in front of you, move the dumbbells up and back bending your elbows as you go (row), then return them to the starting position. Repeat.
- Squats: Like when you stand on the vibration plate, bend your knees, but this time go a little bit further, push your bum out so that your hips hinge backwards. Try to get your bum and thighs parallel to the plate. Keep your knees behind your toes. Return to starting position. Repeat.
- Lunges: Keep one foot on the vibration plate, either your front leg (if you are facing the vibration plate) your back leg (if you are facing away from the vibration plate) should then be on the vibration plate. Bend your front leg. Never go further than you can safely manage. Keep your knees behind your toes. Return to starting position. Repeat.
- Planks: Rest your forearms on the vibration plate and your toes on the floor. Keep your body in a straight line with your stomach and bum muscles contracted. You can start off doing 10-30 seconds and build it up from there. You can also do multiple sets of 30-60 second planks.
- Stretches: Vibration plates are great for doing stretches that stretch your calves (lower legs), quadriceps and hamstring muscles (thighs) and you can do arm, shoulder and back stretches while in the standing position on the plate.
To build strength, keep your repetitions between 8 and 12. You can do up to 4 sets per exercise as you get fitter. If you like workout videos, here is a video with basic exercises to start off with:
For a quick but effective workout, check out this video. There are modifications shown as well so the exercises will be able to be done according to your fitness level:
Caution While Using Vibration Plate
Though vibration plates are safe for the young and the old, there are a few precautions to take. As with any new exercise program, it is recommended to get the go-ahead from your physician. This is especially important if you haven't exercised before, are elderly, have a health condition or are recovering from an injury or illness.
- Do not use a vibration plate if you are pregnant.
- If you have a history of seizures, problems with your spine, tumors or blood clots, the vibration plate may not be for you. Speak to your doctor to be sure of the facts that are specific to you since everyone is different.
- Do not use a vibration plate if you have a pacemaker or any other type of electrical implant.
- Small children should not use the vibration plate. The minimum age is 12 years at a low intensity. The go-ahead from their doctor or physiotherapist is important.
- Using the vibration plate for long periods of time can cause nausea. Use it only as long as is right for you. 8-20 minutes is enough to reap the benefits. Try to minimise the vibrations going to your head. If your body doesn't respond well to the upper body exercises where your arms or hands are on the vibration plate, rather avoid doing those on the vibration plate.
- Do not use weights that are too heavy for you, or do exercises that cause you to become unstable on the vibration plate. Do what is right for your body and try not to rush your progression faster than your body is able to handle.
- If you are currently injured, it may be wise to avoid the vibration plate until you are healed enough to start using it again. Speak to your doctor or physiotherapist first to make sure your body is ready.
- Always follow the guidelines and instructions given by the manufacturer for correct use and storage of your vibration plate.
- WBVT is one of the best and fastest ways to make bones stronger.
- Improvements to strength and bone health are seen in as little as 8 minutes per day twice a week.
- Stronger muscles improved blood circulation, and detoxing are some of the other benefits of WBVT.
- WBVT is so effective that it's used by astronauts to restore bone density and muscle strength after being in space for long periods of time and athletes to increase strength and decrease injuries.
- WBVT can be used by children as young as 12 years old to elderly people after receiving the go-ahead from a doctor.
- WBVT can be used by those with health conditions like diabetes, cerebral palsy and osteoporosis to improve health.
- You can do simple exercises on the vibration plate-like squats, lunges, shoulder presses and dumbbell rows to increase your strength.