For International Orders Please WhtatsApp On
+91 76529 22771
Healthy Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste that is Coconut Oil Based
Healthy toothpaste? Toothpaste is probably not one of the first things that come to mind when you think about chemicals that may be toxic to you and your family. But the fact is that toothpaste does contain chemicals and some of them are harmful. Your mouth is very absorbent, so despite the fact that you use very little toothpaste at a time, the chemicals still make their way to your bloodstream.
This post is about Healthy Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste that is Coconut Oil Based. Some of the common chemicals used in toothpaste-like parabens are endocrine disruptors. This means that they interfere with your hormones. Parabens mimic estrogen which can lead to estrogen dominance and it lowers testosterone. This increases the risk of cancer and causes problems with fertility.
Fluoride is used to prevent cavities but that is where the benefits stop. Fluoride not only interferes with thyroid function, but it's easy to get too much. This causes your bones to become more brittle. It also isn't stopped by the blood-brain barrier where it causes problems with memory. Sperm count is also affected by fluoride and it can cause tiredness and weaken your immune system.
Those most at risk are children because they are smaller, the doses it takes to poison their bodies are much lower than for adults. Fluoride can also build up over time in our bodies, even more quickly if you live in a place where the water is fluoridated.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
SLS is highly irritating to the skin and eyes of some people. It is used to make personal care products like shampoo and toothpaste foam. SLS in itself is safe for most people when exposure lasts only for a minute or two which is fine for brushing your teeth. The problem is the way SLS is manufactured, however. It is often contaminated with 1,4 dioxane which is carcinogenic. Though not all manufacturers use the processes that contaminate SLS with 1,4 dioxane, many do.
What About Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in tooth whitening toothpaste, mouthwashes, and treatments. The problem is that in some people it causes gum irritation and tooth sensitivity. It also softens your teeth which increases the risk of losing tooth enamel. The answer to looking after your teeth is a homemade toothpaste. This way you can control exactly what goes into it.
Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe
4 Tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon of xylitol 5 Tablespoons of calcium phosphate 1/2 Teaspoon of Himalayan salt 2 Tablespoons of baking soda 10-20 Drops of peppermint essential oil (optional) for freshness 10-20 drops of any antibacterial oil ( neem oil )
- Put all the powder ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the coconut oil a little bit at a time while mixing until you are happy with the consistency. You may need to melt the coconut oil first.
- Add the peppermint essential oil.
- Transfer the toothpaste to a glass jar.
- To use, dip your toothbrush in or scoop some out with a spoon or an ice cream stick and apply it to your toothbrush. Brush and rinse as you normally would.
This toothpaste stays good for 3 months.
- You can add zinc citrate and/or magnesium oil as well.
- You can add 5-10 drops of trace mineral drops
- The Himalayan salt is optional
- You can use bentonite clay (4 tablespoons with this recipe), but you will need some water after the step where you stir in the coconut oil. Also, people with cavities filled with mercury should not use bentonite clay.
- You can use stevia to replace the xylitol. Both are optional and not necessary for your toothpaste.
- If you can't find calcium phosphate, you can use calcium carbonate.
Essential oils:The following are also great options depending on your taste. You can even mix a few drops of each to get a flavor profile that you like:
- Neem (Antibacterial)
- Tea tree (Antibacterial)
- Eucalyptus (Freshens breath)
- Clove (Great for sensitive teeth)
- Cinnamon (Antibacterial)
Activated charcoal can be used to whiten your teeth. There are some concerns that it may be too abrasive, however. Speak to your dentist if you are unsure. You may be able to just cover your teeth with the charcoal and let it sit for a minute or two before swishing some water around and spitting it out. It will not turn your teeth black.
Why Are These Ingredients Good
The obvious benefit is that there are no chemicals. But each of these ingredients has their own set of benefits too:
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial agent and reduces inflammation. It also binds the ingredients together and makes them feel smoother in your mouth. Read about the other benefits of coconut oil here.
- Diatomaceous earth (DE): DE is full of trace minerals. It is quite abrasive, so you may not even need the baking soda in your toothpaste.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is a healthy sugar alternative and just like stevia, it doesn't cause cavities like sugar would and doesn't cause problems with your stomach like the other sugar substitutes used in commercial toothpaste. It also prevents plaque buildup and it even makes your mouth more alkaline which keeps bacteria at bay.
- Calcium phosphate: Calcium phosphate helps to remineralize your teeth. This helps to make your teeth harder and stronger.
- Himalayan salt: Himalayan salt is full of trace minerals and helps to balance the pH in the mouth. Salt has also been used for centuries to get rid of harmful bacteria.
- Baking soda: Many people use baking soda for its whitening properties, but did you know that it also removes plaque? In addition to this, it also helps to alkalize the mouth.
- Peppermint essential oil: This essential oil makes the toothpaste taste good and it freshens your breath. Peppermint essential oil calms inflammation and it also has antibacterial properties.