Does Coffee Destroy Vitamins: Truth For Coffee Drinkers
There is so much confusion lingering about "Does Coffee Destroy Vitamins". The truth is there are good coffees and there are very bad coffees available on the market. Consuming bad coffee may lead to B12 Deficiency as coffee and B12 deficiency has a direct connection. Both good and bad coffees have caffeine, so both will give you that mental kick.
The good coffee will give you that kick along with all the antioxidants. Studies which prove coffee is good do not include the fact that most of the coffees on the market are contaminated with mycotoxins. The coffee guru Dave Asprey clearly mentions the following:
The coffee beans are almost always contaminated with mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are damaging compounds created by molds which grow on coffee beans (among other things). These compounds cause all sorts of health problems like cardiomyopathy, cancer, hypertension, kidney disease, and even brain damage. They also make your coffee taste bitter like it needs sugar. Some types of coffee have more mycotoxins than others, which is why you see some studies showing a benefit to drinking coffee, and others showing negative health outcomes. The problem isn’t coffee per se, it’s the mold on your coffee.
So, the simple hack is if your coffee tastes bitter it has mycotoxins in it. Stay away from:
- Cheap Coffee: It costs less because of poor quality beans
- Coffee Blends: They mix together cheap coffee of different origins. Look for Single Origin. Arabia Coffee have fewer moulds
- Stay away from Decafs, they are even mouldier
Having the wrong kind of coffee will still give you that mental kick/performance but you will feel:
- Joint Pain
- The energy crash that comes after consuming coffee
The Bright Side of a Good Coffee
- High in Antioxidants
- Coffee improves focus, memory recall
- Coffee enhances exercise performance
- Coffee drinkers are at a lower risk of T2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, stroke, and cancers of the liver, kidney, and prostate
Choose the Right Coffee
- Go Organic because commercial coffee beans are suspected of being mouldy and are sprayed with pesticides
- Whole Bean: Roastmasters is a popular online resource for information about home coffee roasting and supplies.
- If you are using a filter machine, don't go for white-bleached filters. They are full of harmful chemicals.
- Drink Black with no sugar or Milk, although people on the Keto diet can drink it with full-fat cream.
- Darker roasts are better than the lighter ones.
For all the coffee lovers, it is important that they do full research before buying a brand. Whether or not it is single-origin and how it is processed.
Coffee and Other Nutrients
I was forced to research this article when I had tingling and numbness in my body. I was also depressed without any reason and fatigued. I went directly to the lab to get my blood tested for all vitamins and minerals. It turned out that I was severely deficient in B12. B12 deficiency is so common these days. B12 is the third most important vitamin that I suggest to my clients.
- The first being Vitamin D.
- The second being Magnesium.
Here you can read the full article about B12 that I wrote. The other reason for a deficiency in B vitamins turned out to be coffee. I went directly to PubMed and found a direct relation between coffee consumption and reduced B vitamins. Coffee with all its advantages regarding focus and concentration should be limited to not more than 2 cups per day. Coffee can reduce iron absorption by up to 80 per cent if drunk within an hour of a meal.
Very hot drinks can also deactivate some vitamins, and kill live probiotic bacteria. Breakfast is still the best time to take your vitamins and minerals, but not with the coffee. Though coffee is rich in antioxidants, almost all are destroyed in the traditional coffee roasting process. Coffee is highly acidic in the body (decaffeinated coffee is even more acidic) which causes your body to extract calcium and other alkaline minerals from your bones and joints to rebalance your blood PH.
Having said all that and considering all the advantages and disadvantages my conclusion is:
Drink high-quality coffee. No more than 2 cups per day. Selecting the right coffee is very important. Selection will determine whether your cup of coffee will give you advantages or disadvantages Try to look for Fresh Organic Coffee and preferably whole beans Choose Organic